Positioning Statement

Animation and You
Positioning statement


My name is Rebecca Smith. I am a student, who is currently studying animation at the Bower Ashton campus at the University of the West of England. From a year of studying animation, I have been able to explore this subject in many forms.

From traditional drawing to CGI, stop-motion and pre-production, I have been able to discover which areas of animation that appeal to me the most. Whilst working within my second year, I have developed a great interest in the areas of pre-production, such as with storyboarding, layouts and character design.

Working throughout the whole design process in animation is what I find to be best suited to me. I was very pleased about learning the process of animation design, as it helped me to understand how much hard work actually goes into creating a successful, animated production.

Within the pre-production stage, I am primarily drawn to the areas of character design and storyboarding. I find that character design allows me to be openly creative, so I can come up with a wide range of ideas for potential characters. In the past, I have both created, and visualised many characters that were designed with the potential of existing within a new animated production. I hope that once I make it into the animation industry, I could achieve that goal.

I am fascinated with storyboarding, as it gives me a sense of excitement when knowing that I am bringing the script to life. Storyboarding, will in a sense, take the pre-production further by creating a visual script. Using imagery, instead of words. I find that mapping out the scenes and the position of characters within a storyboard is a lot of fun, and I will never fail to be enthusiastic around that area of concept work.

Comments